Waikato Stud have offered heady support to the current 43-Lot gavelhouse.com New Zealand auction with five yearling and eight broodmare entries.
Australasia’s leading breeder of Group One winners in the past decade, Waikato Stud’s recipe for success is evident not only on the race-track but also in the sale ring. Recognised as leading vendor at New Zealand Bloodstock’s yearling sales series for the past four years, stud owner Mark Chittick has added gavelhouse.com’s fortnightly online sales as another sphere they’re successfully operating in.
“In the past four months Waikato Stud and our clients have traded almost $500,000 worth of bloodstock through gavelhouse.com,” he commented.
“The frequency of the online system’s sales allows us to market our product at the most opportune time of year for their type plus sell horses without the added economics of moving them off the farm,”
“I believe this way of selling is going to become an even bigger part of our business going forward.”
“With big numbers on the farm at the moment, the broodmares in this sale are an opportunity for people to access families we’ve been developing over decades while some of the yearlings on offer could be turned into tidy pin-hooking prospects for more boutique operations.”
Included in the stud’s broodmare entries are:
- Lot 23, Dixie Express, (pictured) a winning Thorn Park mare in foal to Waikato Stud’s SACRED FALLS, the four-time Group One winning son of champion sire and broodmare sire O’REILLY.
- Lot 24, Fabaz, winning daughter of O’REILLY who has already produced a stakes-winner in NANDOWRA and is offered unreserved and in foal to the stud’s five-time Group One winner OCEAN PARK.
- Lot 32, Lady Writer, an unreserved daughter of O’REILLY with a pedigree heavy in black type, she is offered in foal to ROCK ‘N’ POP, the stud’s Group One winning son of FASTNET ROCK and dual Group One winner POPSY who stands for $9,000.
Waikato Stud yearlings holding nominations for Karaka 2018 include:
- Lot 1, filly by Gr.1 Cox Plate winning son of THORN PARK in OCEAN PARK out of winning O”REILLY mare Brazen.
- Lot 2, a son of Waikato Stud Group One winning son of FASTNET ROCK in ROCK ‘N’ POP, out of multiple winning PINS mare Cold Snap who herself is a half-sister to multiple Group winner COLD PLAY.
- Lot 4, a SACRED FALLS filly out of a half-sister to Group One winner TAUPO RETREAT with Gr.1 Queensland Oaks winner PROVOCATIVE also featuring under the second dam.
- Lot 5, a SACRED FALLS colt out of a half-sister to Group One winner DEEBEE BELLE and Group Three winner MISS MAREN.
Other highlights in the breeding section include a young mare with a successful international pedigree at Lot 20 in Angel Van Haarlem. She is in foal to Haunui Farm’s fully booked out international Group One sire IFFRAAJ. Other covering sires represented include Atlante, Battle Paint, Proisir while there are also some attractive empty mares with black type including stakes-winner and Group One placed HOWMUCHYACHARGING and Go Racing’s recently retired stakes placegetter Zanotti.
Adding another angle to this fortnightly auction in association with Westbury Stud, who make a point of fundraising for the Cancer Society in Spring each year, the saddle-cloths from the recent Gr.1 Tarzino Trophy are up for grabs. The brightly coloured pieces worn by each horse in the race are named as well as signed by the trainer and jockey. The unique racing memorabilia can be viewed here.
Bidding is set to close from 7pm on Monday 18 September with the gavelhouse.com team on hand to assist with any questions about the process via firstname.lastname@example.org or call +64 9 296 4436
Entries for the next gavelhouse.com Australia auction are also due on Monday, at 7pm AEST. Enter online or call +61 3 9614 4882.