The catalogue for the 2022 National Broodmare and Stallion Share Sale on Gavelhouse Plus is stacked with stallions held in high regard throughout Australasia, both for their own progeny and for their ever-growing reputations as broodmare sires.
Buyers will have the opportunity to buy into these world-class bloodlines, with bidding on Gavelhouse Plus set to close incrementally today, Wednesday 20 July at 7PM (NZT).
A quality cross-section of 56 different sires is represented throughout the 79 broodmares in the catalogue, including several stallions making a real name for themselves through the feats of their broodmare daughters.
Notable broodmare sires with multiple progeny available in the 2022 National Broodmare Sale include:
The starting point in almost any summary of sires represented in a New Zealand Bloodstock sale, Waikato Stud’s super-sire Savabeel is about to be crowned New Zealand’s leading sire for the eighth season in a row. He is the sire of over 800 winners, 125 of them at stakes level including this season’s Group One stars Probabeel (NZ), Mo’unga (NZ), Noverre (NZ), The Perfect Pink (NZ), The Chosen One (NZ) and Savy Yong Blonk (NZ).
But Savabeel is also making his mark as a broodmare sire. He has so far been represented by 257 winners from 455 runners, including 17 individual black-type winners. Standout members of that group include elite winners Savatoxl (Kuroshio) and Never Been Kissed (NZ) (Tivaci), along with Group Two winners Not An Option (Not A Single Doubt), Fascino (NZ) (Charm Spirit) and Tokorangi (NZ) (Redwood). Hong Kong sprinter Courier Wonder (NZ) (Sacred Falls) has won at Group Three level and placed in the Hong Kong Sprint (1200m).
Savabeel is the sire of four mares in the 2022 National Broodmare Sale catalogue:
- Lot 31 – multiple Group Two winner and Group One placegetter Floria (NZ) (pictured.
- Lot 69 – the winning mare Savanite (NZ), a half-sister to Group Two winner Singing Star (NZ) (Danasinga) and closely related to multiple Group One winner Viadana (NZ) (Towkay).
- Lot 70 – Savnoir (NZ), who is a full-sister to Group One winner Sound Proposition (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lot 72 – the winning mare Social Distance (NZ), from the family of Group One winner Sharvasti (NZ) (Montjeu) and numerous other stakes winners.
The progeny of Cambridge Stud’s Tavistock (NZ) are continuing to enhance the late, great sire’s legacy as one of New Zealand’s supreme classic influences.
Following this season’s Derby triumphs by Asterix (NZ) and Pinarello (NZ), Tavistock now has nine Group One winners to his name – a list that also includes fellow Derby winners Tarzino (NZ), Tavago (NZ), Werther (NZ) and Johnny Get Angry (NZ), along with Oaks winner Toffee Tongue (NZ) and Rosehill Guineas (2000m) winner and multiple Derby placegetter Volkstok’n’barrell (NZ).
But another way in which Tavistock’s influence is continuing to be felt is through his broodmare daughters. He is the broodmare sire of 20 winners from just 34 runners to date, including his first Group One triumph with Mr Brightside (NZ) (Bullbars) in this year’s Doncaster Handicap (1600m) in Sydney.
Dragon Queen (NZ) (Sweynesse) has been a Group Two winner this season, while Annavisto (NZ) (Reliable Man), Bellacontte (NZ) (Burgundy) and Straight Arron (Fastnet Rock) have scored at Group Three level.
Like Savabeel, Tavistock has four broodmare daughters in the catalogue:
- Lot 27 – Downton Abbey (NZ), who won over 1600 metres and finished second in the Group Two Royal Stakes (2000m).
- Lot 50 – four-race winner Lady Kartel (NZ), who placed in the Group Three Taranaki Breeders’ Stakes (1400m).
- Lot 55 – Lonesome Lady (NZ), closely related to the Sydney black-type winner Single (High Chaparral) and high-class British two-year-olds Ghayth (Sadler’s Wells) and Ego (Green Desert).
- Lot 64 – the unraced Princess Aurelia (NZ), out of a sister to stakes winner Exquisite Jewel (NZ) (Lucky Unicorn) and from the iconic Eight Carat family.
The winner of five Group One races including the Cox Plate (2040m), Ocean Park (NZ) has maintained that extraordinarily high standard since retiring to stand at Waikato Stud. His 224 winners include 17 stakes winners over a wide range of distances, from multiple Group One-winning sprinter Tofane (NZ) to Auckland Cup (3200m) hero Ocean Billy (NZ).
His first runners as a broodmare sire are reaching racetracks this season, with one winner already from just two starters to date.
Ocean Park is the most-represented sire in the Broodmare Sale catalogue, with five lots:
- Lot 8 – Ask Pa (NZ), a winning half-sister to Group Three winner Miss Selby (NZ) (O’Reilly) and daughter of Group Two winner Singing Star (NZ) (Danasinga). Multiple Group One winner Viadana (NZ) (Towkay) is also a close relative, while Group One winner and sire Hellbent (I Am Invincible) descends from the third dam.
- Lot 9 – the unraced Astra Phobia (NZ), a close relative of multiple Group One winner Daffodil (NZ) (No Excuse Needed) and the high-class Aegon (NZ) (Sacred Falls).
- Lot 23 – Della Sirena (NZ), closely related to quality performers Mackintosh (NZ) (Pins), Viennetta (NZ) (Pins), Golden Archer (Rock Of Gibraltar) and Butterscotch (NZ) (Gold Brose).
- Lot 61 – Ocean Girl (NZ), an unraced sibling to three winners including the stakes-placed Johnny Vinko (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lot 78 – two-race winner Valmur (NZ), a half-sister to Listed winner, Group Two placegetter and black-type producer Ritzy Lady (NZ) (Zabeel).
Rich Hill Stud’s foundation stallion Pentire achieved an enormous amount with his progeny, siring 16 Group One winners including Melbourne Cup hero Prince Of Penzance (NZ), superstar Kiwi gallopers Xcellent (NZ) and Mufhasa (NZ), multiple Group One-winning Sydney star Rangirangdoo (NZ), and sires Xtravagant (NZ), He’s Remarkable (NZ) and Ferlax (NZ).
Pentire’s daughters have also made an impact with more than 440 winners worldwide, 19 of them in black-type races. The standout performers have been Group One winners Shoot Out (High Chaparral), Saint Emilion (NZ) (Mastercraftsman) and Sommerlied (Var), along with nine other Group Two and Group Three winners.
Pentire is represented by four lots in the National Broodmare Sale catalogue:
- Lot 10 – Pencarrow Stud’s classy mare Atacama (NZ), who won black-type races on both sides of the Tasman and was placed at Group Two level. She is the dam of one winner from one named foal.
- Lot 29 – Entirely Saintly (NZ), who is the dam of Group Two Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m) winner The Holy One (NZ) (Tavistock).
- Lot 34 – Two-race winner and Listed fourth placegetter Grey Swallow (NZ), who is the dam of Listed winner Sureasyouwereborn (NZ) (Lucky Unicorn).
- Lot 75 – Stunner (NZ), who is a half-sister to two stakes performers including Group One Rosehill Guineas (2000m) winner Zabrasive (NZ) (Zabeel).
Firmly entrenched in Australasian thoroughbred folklore through Group One winners such as Ace High, Descarado (NZ), Dundeel (NZ), Monaco Consul (NZ), Rekindling, Shoot Out, So You Think (NZ), Contributer and Tivaci, the enormously influential High Chaparral is now highly sought-after as a broodmare sire.
Worldwide, High Chaparral has been credited with 664 winners from 1187 runners as a broodmare sire. No fewer than 51 of them have been stakes winners, including Group One winners Suavito (NZ) (Thorn Park), Coventina Bay (NZ) (Shamexpress), A Raving Beauty (Mastercraftsman), Sir Andrew (Polan), Best Of Days (Azamour), Media Sensation (I Am Invincible), Wyndspelle (NZ) (Iffraaj), The Wow Signal (Starspangledbanner) and Volatile Mix (NZ) (Pentire).
Three daughters of High Chaparral feature in the 2022 National Broodmare Sale:
- Lot 37 – Hi Appeal (NZ) an unraced daughter of Group Two placegetter Appiel (Singspiel), who is a half-sister to Group One winner December Draw (Medecis).
- Lot 38 – High Embrace, who is a full-sister to Listed winner and Group One-placed Cool Chap (High Chaparral).
- Lot 39 – High Lady (NZ), an unraced full-sister to the multiple stakes placegetter Gundown (NZ) (High Chaparral).
Global superstar sire Fastnet Rock has been represented by more than 1400 winners worldwide, 189 of them at black-type level including the likes of Avantage, Atlantic Jewel, Mosheen, Merchant Navy and many more elite performers.
As a broodmare sire, he has had 850 winners, 66 of them stakes winners including Santa Ana Lane, Russian Emperor, Gytrash, Tivaci and Glint Of Hope at Group One level.
Fastnet Rock is the broodmare sire of:
- Lot 11 – Bingo Betty, who won two races and is a daughter of the stakes-placed Lady Chivero (NZ) (Clay Hero).
- Lot 19 – from the family of numerous stakes winners, Crystal Cheval is the dam of three winners from three foals to race.
Former Arrowfield Stud kingpin Redoute’s Choice needs little introduction, with a long list of Group One-winning progeny that includes the likes of Snitzel, Miss Finland, Lankan Rupee, The Autumn Sun and countless more.
His career as a broodmare sire has produced more than 1500 winners including 135 at stakes level. The headline acts include Sacred Falls (NZ), Anamoe, Arcadia Queen, Hitotsu, Regal Power, Zoustar, Trekking, Ace High, Super Seth and Profondo. He has a dominant lead in Australia’s broodmare-sire standings this season.
The 2022 National Broodmare Sale features:
- Lot 47 – the placegetter Kathies Choice, who is a half-sister to stakes performers A La Victory (NZ) (Alamosa) and Quintette (NZ) (Alamosa) and is out of the Group Two winner and Group One-placed Everswindell (NZ) (Align).
- Lot 58 – Miss Majella, who is a placed half-sister to multiple Group One winner Mentality (Flying Spur).
Former Haunui Farm shuttler Iffraaj has left his mark on our part of the world with dozens of stakes winners including top-flight stars Turn Me Loose (NZ), Gingernuts (NZ), Jon Snow (NZ) and Wyndspelle. His sire sons Turn Me Loose, Jon Snow, Wyndspelle and Ribchester are all now at stud in New Zealand.
On the broodmare-sire front, Iffraaj has had 240 winners worldwide including 21 in black-type races. The headline act is clearly Melody Belle (NZ) (Commands), who won 14 Group One races.
The broodmare daughters of Iffraaj in the catalogue are:
- Lot 4 – Abit Iffey (NZ), an unraced half-sister to Australian Group Three winner Tarvarnelle (Zabeel).
- Lot 52 – Listed Pegasus Stakes (1000m) winner Lady Zafira (NZ).
An outstanding performer over a long career at Waikato Stud, Pins has sired nine Group One winners including the exceptional Aerovelocity (NZ), Ambitious Dragon (NZ), El Segundo (NZ) and Katie Lee.
His broodmare-sire statistics are also impressive, with 643 winners including 52 stakes winners. Probabeel (NZ), Stratum Star, Savvy Coup (NZ), Tiptronic (NZ), Savy Yong Blonk (NZ), Brambles (NZ) and D B Pin (NZ) have all shone brightly at the highest level.
Pins is the sire of:
- Lot 7 – the unraced Another Minute (NZ), from the family of Group One stars Legs (NZ) (Pins) and exciting young sire Xtravagant (NZ) (Pentire).
- Lot 76 – winning mare Stylee (NZ), a daughter of Group Two winner Arletty (NZ) (Centaine) and from the same family as above.
Other stallions represented in the catalogue include:
- Top-class racehorse and highly successful sire Darci Brahma (NZ), who has made a promising start as a broodmare sire with five stakes winners including Only Words (NZ) (Sweynesse), Yaletown (Vancouver) and Finance Tycoon (Written Tycoon).
- Lonhro, the broodmare sire of 49 stakes winners including the likes of Gatting (Hard Spun), Osborne Bulls (Street Cry), Derryn (Hinchinbrook) and Ingratiating (Frosted).
- Former high-class Westbury Stud shuttle stallion Makfi, who has 12 winners as a broodmare sire including Grade One winner McKulick (Frankel).
- Monsun, who has made his mark in this part of the world through his Melbourne Cup-winning sons Fiorente, Protectionist and Almandin. He is the broodmare sire of 95 stakes winners, more than a dozen of them at Group One level.
- Little Avondale’s outstanding Per Incanto, sire of this season’s Group One Newmarket Handicap (1200m) winner Roch ‘N’ Horse (NZ) and a two-time leading sire of winners in Hong Kong.
- Champion racehorse and top sire So You Think (NZ), the broodmare sire of this season’s Golden Slipper (1200m) winner Fireburn (Rebel Dane).
Another major point of interest in the Broodmare Sale is the quality selection of covering sires, which include Ace High, Almanzor, Anders, Circus Maximus, Darci Brahma (NZ), Derryn, Eminent, Ocean Park (NZ), Per Incanto, Preferment (NZ), Proisir, Reliable Man, Ribchester, Shalaa, Shocking, Super Seth, Sweynesse, Tarzino (NZ), Telperion, Time Test, Tivaci, Turn Me Loose (NZ), U S Navy Flag, Vadamos, Vanbrugh and Zed (NZ).
The remaining two lots in the catalogue are stallion shares in proven performers Reliable Man and Shocking.
Reliable Man is the sire of 343 winners from 601 runners, with 19 stakes winners including Group One stars Inspirational Girl (NZ), Miami Bound (NZ) and Sentimental Miss (NZ).
Rich Hill Stud stallion Shocking is enjoying his best-ever season, sitting in sixth place on the New Zealand sires’ premiership and 19th in Australia. I’m Thunderstruck (NZ) has put his sire’s name in lights in Australia with victories in the Group One Toorak Handicap (1600m) and the A$7.5m Golden Eagle (1500m).
The first lot of the 2022 National Broodmare and Stallion Share Sale closes tonight, Wednesday 20 July at 7PM (NZT).